There are some perks to being a woman – different perspective from men, having a baby (debatable b/c of the physical exertion), and access to women mags, yep you heard the last one right. My mom called me one day and said I got you a subscription to Marie Claire. I said hmm, OK, but I’ve never read it before really. This week, I got my first issue. I flipped through the pages and hit the “How to get a job” segment. I was quite intrigued by the tips for shameless networking. I’m not saying that I endorse these tips, but I would definitely say they do seem to be quite strategic.
From Marie Claire January 2009 issue:
- – sync up your workout schedule with executives at your gym, offer to spot them
- – get your kids or nieces/nephews to be friends with the kids of your industry’s power players
- – steal all the toilet paper from the office restroom and “rescue” the VP when they mistakenly enter a stall that lacks resources
- – frequent happy hours in the business district, buy a drink to the person who you are sucking up to
- – host a cocktail party and only invite your management level friends
- – AND THE BEST ONE OF THEM ALL…bring your business cards to funerals and distribute with a solemn, “I’m here for you.”
To add onto to this list, I would add:
- – send holiday cards for offbeat holidays such as Ground Hog’s Day, St Patrick’s Day, etc. You will standout and your contacts will remember you.