I’m fortunate that I don’t have to travel all that much for work because I don’t particularly enjoy waiting for an airplane to take off. Recently, I had to get a ride to the airport though and I decided to try out Uber for the first time. I pulled up the app and saw on my iPhone screen three little black cars driving near my current location. It looked more like a game of cat and mouse and kind of fun to watch for a bit. I hit the button to call an Uber to my house.
I knew when my Uber car was arriving because I got real-time updates on how far the car was from me (4 minutes away!). When the car arrived, I discovered that my driver was female around her 40s. I hopped into the front seat because I wasn’t sure if I should sit in front or back. Then we chatted all the way to the airport.
- She works for Uber during her free time when she’s not doing her other part-time work.
- There is car insurance just for Uber when she’s clocked in.
- She prefers to drive outside of SF because SF has too many short stops although she did say for long drives one way that she loses money if she can’t pick up anyone on her way back.
- You don’t have to tip Uber drives, but can if you want, most do not.
- One time a passenger “hit” on her, but nothing she couldn’t handle herself.
- She carries mace with her just in case.
- She has tried working with other startup delivery services, but still likes Uber.
Then, before I knew it, I was at the airport.
If you’re interested in becoming an Uber driver check out these articles about how much you can make.